Through the efforts of the Metaldehyde Stewardship Group (MSG)(of which Chiltern is a member) it is now widely known in the agricultural industry that metaldehyde, being very soluble, can leach into surface water in miniscule quantities which are sufficient to exceed the permitted levels set out in the Drinking Water Directive.
Chiltern have been able to address the problem by supplying growers with slug pellets which contain only 1.5% metaldehyde and which can be applied at the low rate of 4 kg/ha (60 g/ha metaldehyde). This has a number of benefits:
- Slug pellets which have the lowest amount of metaldehyde recommended per hectare
- Effective slug control due to the unique formulation
- Reduction in leaching from pellets
- More hectares covered per fill of applicator
- Simple management as every hectare can be treated at 4 kg/ha
- By using these pellets farmers are more likely to keep metaldehyde on the market through reduction in surface water exceedances
Chiltern and a number of water companies are cooperating in pilot trials from Northumberland to Hampshire to assess the value of using a maximum of 4 kg/ha of Chiltern’s unique 1.5% TR3799 metaldehyde® slug pellets between 1st August and 31st December. Results from year one of a planned three years of these pilots are encouraging.
GET WISE PELLETS – 1.5% WITH TR3799 METALDEHYDE®
SAVE WATER AND METALDEHYDE
Use Allure, Appeal, Attract, Desire, Tempt or Trounce at 4kg/ha